Thursday, September 2, 2010

One Year Ago Today

Most of you probably don't remember where you were on Wed., Sept. 2, 2009.  But I remember exactly where I was and vividly remember the horrible details of the day that still cause my chest to tighten. 

The morning started off with the potential for a fun day: I had a research study to do in Plano, and the boys were going to go play at McDonald's while my sis-in-law watched them.  Then, we were going to my mom's house for lunch and the boys were going to stay with her while I went to my 31 week OB appt.  Unfortunately, that's not how things came down, and the day was the complete opposite of fun!

From my diary one year ago...

Around 12:20, we were talking when we heard Elijah scream and saw him lying on his back in the middle of the play area. He was lying on his back with his foot/knees facing the basketball area. I am not a mom who typically jumps at every fall, but I immediately jumped up when I saw his leg. His left leg was bent to the side, and his left foot was up between his left elbow and shoulder. Once I got to him, I knew he was in pain. He did not have tears, but he was screaming and shaking holding his left knee/leg. I didn’t see what happened so as I headed back to the table to check him out, I asked the other lady in the play area if she saw what happened. She told me he tripped/fell over/with the basketball that he was carrying. I sat him on the table and tried to access his leg. He continued to scream and would not let me touch his leg. I did notice that he was not moving it at all. Since I am pregnant, Emily gathered him up in her arms while I got Nathan and the rest of our stuff. I could tell that people (other customers) were looking at us as we left because Elijah was screaming quite loud. We headed to the car, I got him buckled in his car seat, and he was still screaming and shaking...

I then took him to my parents' house, which was right around the corner, and called our pediatrician.  Elijah had an appointment at 2 p.m.

Our pediatrician, Dr. Newton, was not available to see Elijah so we saw his new partner, Dr. Wiser. Dr. Wiser came in shortly after we were taken to an exam room. She asked the details of the injury and then accessed his leg. Everything looked fine until she asked us to remove his shorts. Once we took his shorts off, it became evident to all three of us that his left thigh was swollen. Dr. Wiser felt around his leg for a moment and then informed us that he definitely had a break because she could feel it popping. She left the room to get us the info for the orthopedic doctor and returned shortly thereafter with the name of an ortho office just one medical building over.

I'm not sure why we were not given a wheelchair or anything....because my mom was carrying my very heavy 2 1/2 year old who screamed with every step she took because it jarred his leg.  That walk seemed like it took forever!!!

The (orthopedic) doctor came in shortly and immediately took my mom and Elijah to the next room for x-rays. (I could not go with them since I was 31 weeks pregnant.) They returned shortly thereafter, and the nurse pulled the x-ray up on the screen in the exam room. We waited for Dr. Diehl to come in to read the x-ray. At this point, I noticed that the x-ray on the screen was one from the knee down, but I assumed it was just one of a couple of pictures taken. When Dr. Diehl came in, I realized that this picture was the only one they took. I could tell that he was studying the x-ray trying to figure out where the break could possibly be. So, I simply said, “Now, you know that is not where they believe the break to be.” He then asked where the pediatrician thought that the break was, and I told him that they thought he broke his left femur. It was then that he said, “Ohhhh…well, we’ll have to take another x-ray then.” So, off they went again for another picture.  Once they finished the x-ray and pulled it up on the screen in the exam room, it became obvious that there was, indeed, a break in the femur. Dr. Diehl showed it to me and said that he was on the verge of needing surgery. It did not look like he’d need surgery but he would be in a spica cast from his hip down and rendered immobile for 4-6 weeks. This was, of course, alarming to me, since I was almost 31 weeks pregnant and could not lift Elijah as it was…moreless with a cast on half of his body! Not to mention the fact that my husband was in his third week at a new job and did not have any personal time yet to take off. He informed us that Elijah would have to be sedated to have the cast put on. Dr. Diehl then left the room to see when we could get this done. He returned noting that Centennial Medical Center (where they are located) did not have any operating rooms open until morning. Therefore, Elijah would be admitted overnight and the procedure would occur first thing in the morning. Shortly after this, Sean (my husband) arrived at the office, and Dr. Diehl filled him in. Since the permanent cast would not be put on until morning, they put on a temporary cast/splint with gauze and an Ace bandage.

I remember the room seemed like it was beginning to spin at this point.  The whole idea of him being in a spica cast while I was 31 weeks pregnant was almost inconceivable to me.  This is NOT how I wanted to spend the last few weeks of pregnancy.  Elijah was in better spirits once his leg was splinted, but he was still not a happy camper.  We got him settled in at the hospital, and he kept asking - "Where's Nate?"  Soon, family members arrived to see him...and my sister and brother-in-law FINALLY brought Nate up.  Nate laid in bed with Elijah and comforted him so sweetly.




Elijah’s procedure was scheduled for 7 a.m. on Thursday morning. Sean said that they came in to get them shortly after 6:30 a.m. Elijah refused the “cocktail” to calm him down so he was pretty upset when he left Sean’s arms. Mom and I arrived at the hospital around 10 after 7 and found his room empty. Sean walked in just a few minutes later to get dressed for work. He then walked us into the waiting room and headed to work around 7:30-7:40. We were in the waiting room probably about 10-15 min. when Dr. Maurer came in to report. He showed us the x-ray where they set the bone back in place and said that everything went fine. A few minutes later, the nurse from recovery called to let us know that we could come back to see him. As soon as we walked into recovery, I could hear him crying and yelling for “Mommy.” He was quite agitated at this point. I walked over by his head to calm him down and assisted in giving him oxygen. (tube blowing on face) They gave him some meds in his IV, which helped calm him and he was soon fast asleep. His cast began right under his ribs, went down over his hips, down to his ankle on his left leg and down to his knee on his right leg. We were back in his room by 9 a.m. The rest of the day was spent cuddling and spending time with him. He ate a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch without any reservations. We kept trying to get him to pee in the bottle (since he is potty trained), but he had trouble going at first. He finally couldn’t hold it anymore and peed on himself. Luckily, though, we had a towel handy that I threw over him (he told me that he was going). Two nurses came in to help change the pad he was lying on and assist in cleaning him and making sure that the cast did not get wet (it did not). The nurses were not any help, though, in telling us how to make him go in the bottle, how to properly hold the bottle when he went, positions to put him in to go in the bottle, etc. It felt like the blind leading the blind at some points. The nurse did show us how to properly use the bedpan so that was beneficial. Before leaving that morning, Dr. Maurer had come by and told me that once Elijah peed, he should be free to go home. So, he was discharged between 3 and 4 p.m.




And thus began the longest 6 weeks of my life...

Some of the "joys" we encountered:

- Needing a sitter anytime I needed to leave the house whether it be for a dr's appt. or just to go to the grocery store - I was pregnant and could not lift him so we were home bound.  I cannot express how thankful I was (and still am) for all of the friends and family who offered prayer/support, brought meals and helped watch Elijah during this time.  I would have fallen apart without you (I was quite a mess as it was).

- Keeping a 2 1/2 year old BOY still and entertained was NOT fun!!!  And yet again, we had friends and family who brought games and toys to keep a little boy still and quiet.

- Trying to figure out a way to cover Elijah's "private" area, which was left exposed with the cast.  Because of the cast's positioning on his hips, we couldn't get normal shorts up him as his legs were too far apart.  I praise God for my one of my best friends, Amber, and her mother who took measurements of my man's cast and constructed some make-shift shorts and undies for Elijah to wear - big boys' shorts/undies with the side seam ripped out and velcro or snaps in place.  I don't know what I would have done without them!!!


- Dealing with continual potty issues for a 2 1/2 year old who had recently potty trained and was now having to learn to pee in a bottle and poo in a bedpan - he peed on his cast too many times to count.  So gross!

- Refusal to eat the first few days in a cast - Can you say protest???

- Lack of sleep those first few days/week as E dealt with the pain and side effects from the medication - I remember sleeping on the couch during the week since S had to go to work (remember, I was 8 mos. pregnant; S took the weekends) with the TV on because Elijah would wake up in the middle of the night and not able to go back to sleep.  At least I got to sleep this way!


- Dragging around that big plastic Little Tikes wagon because there was no other way to transport Elijah once we got somewhere - he was quite heavy, esp. once we had to get his cast reinforced



- Planning/cleaning for Nate's birthday parties with a toddler in a cast...on top of being 9 mos. pregnant!


And then, six VERY LONG weeks later, he was free of that thing...but so skinny and unable to stabilize himself well to sit in the tub that first night.  It took him a few weeks to learn to walk again, and he limped for a few months.


But, here we are one year later, and he shows NO SIGNS of the injury.  To be honest, I'm not even sure he remembers it.  When I ask him which leg he broke, he doesn't know and often points to his right leg (he broke his left).  He was shocked when he saw pictures of himself in the cast the other day.  I think the only "memories" he has are from pictures he has seen and stories he has been told.  Now, big brother can tell you every detail of the day...  But, I suppose that for Elijah, it is best that he does not remember.  His 1 year check up is on the 13th.  We are believing for a positive report from the ortho and hoping that this will be our last time to see him ever.  Will give an update after that appt.

Photo courtesy of Bella Mia Portraits


1 comment:

Fabulous Terrah said...

What an obstacle to overcome for all of you! So glad to hear that Elijah is back to his handsome, normal self again.